(This call is closed)
Maastricht is ready for Europe’s future. Or at least, the city and its university are getting ready to host a citizen’s summit about it. So, the question we have for you is: are you ready to take Europe’s future into your own hands?
Join the G30 and become part of a diverse group of 30 students who work together to produce a creative piece of work representing your ideas and vision of Europe’s future. The work will be publicly exhibited in May 2022. You will meet with politicians, policymakers, and thought leaders who will provide you with an abundance of knowledge and insights. G30 is your front row ticket to a unique experience in the history of European democracy.
Why apply for the G30
The G30 comes with many opportunities for networking, skills development, and personal growth. You will not be paid for participating but you will be enriched in many other ways.
What you can expect from the G30 experience:
- Workshops on storytelling, imagining alternative futures, and creative expression;
- Meetings and discussions with top-level politicians, policymakers, and thought leaders;
- The opportunity to contribute to a creative piece of work which will be publicly exhibited in May 2022, ‘The Conference through the Eyes of the Future of Europe’. This could be, for instance, a poem, photo series, fictional essay, artwork, video, or any other form of expression through which you can convey your ideas and vision;
- Social activities with an incredibly diverse community of 30 creative and passionate students from different faculties and all parts of the world who are dedicated to learning from, sharing with and collaborating with each other;
- A unique experience that will be recognised with a certificate of participation and a letter of recommendation.
Every motivated UM student makes a suitable G30 candidate. We strive for diversity in every sense of the word, including but not limited to nationality, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, and educational background. We want to foster diversity of thought and encourage critical thinkers and creatives to apply.
The application deadline is 17 October 2021. The team of Studio Europa Maastricht will review your application. We will contact applicants on a rolling basis and expect to have composed the G30 cohort by 1 November 2021. If you have any questions about this, please send an email to email@example.com with ‘G30 application’ in the subject line.
The G30 is designed to be easily combined with your studies, student job or other extracurricular activities. We expect all G30 members to participate in the following in-person activities* in 2021-2022:
- A kick-off event and storytelling workshop in the second week of November;
- The official launch of Re:Generation Maastricht in the fourth week of November;
- A meeting with a top-level politician in the second week of December;
- An event organised on the eve of the citizen summit in the second week of January;
- A creative workshop in the first week of March;
- A social activity in the first week of April;
- The opening of the public exhibition and closing event in the first or second week of May.
* The organisers of the G30 will adhere to the latest guidelines of the Dutch authorities. Hence, we will organise activities online if the national regulations require us to do so.
G30: The next generation of European thinkers and creatives
The G30 initiative is part of Re:Generation Maastricht, a series of events that reflect on, and engage with, the Conference on the Future of Europe and the 30th anniversary of the Maastricht Treaty. In 2022, Maastricht will be at the heart of the conversation on the future of Europe, and the G30 will be one of its driving forces.
The G30 initiative aims to empower the next generation of thinkers and creatives to get actively involved in building up the future of the EU and its democratic foundations. The thirty members of the G30 represent the diversity of Maastricht University, which similarly exists in the European community. You do not need to have a European nationality or be following a political science degree to become part of the G30. You just have to represent the spirit of Europe. The G30 does not settle for today’s reality but instead is about working towards a better future for Europe.
The Conference on the Future of Europe in Maastricht
European Institute of Public Administration (EIPA) and Studio Europa from Maastricht University have been selected by the European Council, EU Commission and European Parliament to offer expertise and support to the organisation of a pan-European citizens’ summit in Maastricht, as part of the Conference on the Future of Europe. In addition to Maastricht, citizens’ panels will be held in Dublin, Florence, and Warsaw. The citizens’ panels in Maastricht will become a platform for dialogue that addresses the topics ‘EU in the world’ and ‘migration’. Two hundred randomly selected participants from all EU countries will have a chance to engage in discussions at various locations in Maastricht. They will also debate in the Government Building of the Province of Limburg, where the Maastricht Treaty was signed. Read more about the Conference on the Future of Europe.
About the organiser, Studio Europa Maastricht
Studio Europa Maastricht is a centre of expertise for Europe-related debate and research, founded in 2018 and supported by the partners of the Maastricht, Working on Europe programme: Maastricht University, the Province of Limburg, and the City of Maastricht. Studio Europa aims to position Maastricht as a meeting place for citizen dialogue and debate and to establish a Centre of Excellence for research on Europe and European integration. Together with EIPA, Studio Europa will offer expertise and support to the organisation of the citizens’ panel, which will take place from 14 – 16 January 2022. For more information about Studio Europa Maastricht, please visit https://maastrichteurope.nl.