Are you a passionate young adult interested in the vital role of an independent press in our democratic society? Do you want to explore the ethics of journalism together with youth from across Europe and learn how to distinguish credible news from unverified information? If so, we invite you to participate in the Free Press under Pressure (FPuP) project organized by Douzelage Meerssen.
Douzelage was founded as a town twinning partnership in 1991. Twenty-eight towns across all EU member states and the UK participate, including the municipality of Meerssen, which borders Maastricht directly. Douzelage organizes regular events and projects aimed at cultural exchange and building solidarity between its member towns.
Studio Europa Maastricht is a partner in FPuP and will bring together 70+ young adults from 15 EU countries. Alongside the participation of local Dutch youth, we can offer 10 spots to EU students studying in Maastricht (non-Dutch/EU citizens, aged 18-30).
- 5 November 2023, evening: welcome dinner;
- 6 November 2023: entire day in Doenrade;
- 7 November 2023: entire day in Maastricht and Doenrade.
- Doenrade Castle, a 45-minute journey by public transport from Maastricht train station;
- Gouvernement aan de Maas in Maastricht.
Participation in the FPuP project is FREE.
- Engaging discussions on the importance of an independent press;
- Workshops led by experts from Maastricht University and Fontys University of Applied Science;
- Self-reflection on your media consumption habits, exploring alternatives, and evaluating information objectivity;
- A final activity where the conclusions from all workshops are shared and discussed at the Regional Government building in Maastricht.
Please note that your train ticket or car transit to/from Doenrade is not covered as part of the project.
How to apply
If you’re eager to be a part of this unique opportunity, don’t hesitate to secure your spot!
To apply, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. You will receive more information about the program and project later by email.
Spaces are limited, so act quickly to reserve your place in the FPuP project. We look forward to receiving your application and your valuable contribution to this enriching cultural exchange.
Studio Europa Maastricht, Europe Direct Maastricht, Maastricht University, Fontys Hogeschool, UNU-Merit, De Limburger, Douzelage Siret, Douzelage Köszeg, Gemeente Meerssen, Stella Maris College and Douzelage Meerssen.