On 5, 6 and 7 November Douzelage Meerssen, in cooperation with Studio Europa Maastricht, organises the Free Press under Pressure project in Maastricht and Doenrade for 70+ young adults (18–30) from 15 EU countries.
The FPuP project organises exchange of views and discussions between the participants on the pressure on the free press and the way young adults can discern independent news gathering by ethical journalism from unverified meanings and facts. The discussions will be led by experts working within the free press and the higher educational institutes on the subject.
The project aims at increasing awareness among young adults that an independent press is necessary as a check on democratic institutions so they can navigate better and fulfill a role in a complex democratic society. This project aims at letting them develop tools to discern independent news gathering from unverified meanings and facts. Participants will explore the vital role of an independent press in our democratic societies and the ethics of journalism, and learn how to distinguish credible news from unverified information.
Douzelage was founded as a town twinning partnership in 1991. Twenty-eight towns across all EU member states and the UK participate, including the municipality of Meerssen, which borders Maastricht directly. Douzelage organises regular events and projects aimed at cultural exchange and building solidarity between its member towns.
- 5 November 2023, evening: welcome dinner;
- 6 November 2023: entire day in Doenrade;
- 7 November 2023: entire day in Maastricht and Doenrade.
- Doenrade Castle, a 45-minute journey by public transport from Maastricht train station;
- Gouvernement aan de Maas in Maastricht.
- Engaging discussions on the importance of an independent press;
- Workshops led by experts from Maastricht University and Fontys University of Applied Science;
- Self-reflection on your media consumption habits, exploring alternatives, and evaluating information objectivity;
- A final activity where the conclusions from all workshops are shared and discussed at the Regional Government building in Maastricht.
How to join?
This event is invite only. Studio Europa Maastricht is a partner in FPuP and will bring together 70+ young adults from 15 EU countries. Alongside the participation of local Dutch youth, we can offer 10 spots to EU students studying in Maastricht (non-Dutch/EU citizens, aged 18-30). Find out more and apply here
Studio Europa Maastricht, Europe Direct Maastricht, Maastricht University, Fontys Hogeschool, UNU-Merit, De Limburger, Douzelage Siret, Douzelage Köszeg, Gemeente Meerssen, Stella Maris College and Douzelage Meerssen.